4 cups water
2 large peeled and chopped carrots
2 large chopped zucchini (green or yellow)
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 finely chopped onion
2 minced garlic cloves
10 large diced and cored tomatoes
1/2 cup of chopped fresh basil leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
*optional: add chopped fresh or dried rosemary and parsley for extra flavor
1. In a large sauce pan, bring water to a boil and then add carrots and zucchini. Cook for about 5 minutes until carrots are tender.
2. Meanwhile, in a large sauce pan add olive oil and sauté onions for few minutes until translucent.
3. Add garlic to the pan and sauté for another two minutes.
4. Add tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper to the pan, cover and cook for about 15-20 minutes until tomatoes are soft and sauce starts to thicken; stir occasionally.
5. In mixer, blend cooked sauce for a smooth consistency.
Variations of the recipes:
- For a chunky consistency, skip blending.
- If you don't like the tomato skin in your sauce, you can cook the whole tomatoes first and then remove the skin before adding to the pan.
- If you have extra tomatoes, this is a great recipe to make a larger batch to freeze and enjoy it later.