2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion
2 stalks chopped celery
2 chopped peeled carrots
3 garlic cloves, minced
1Tbsp tomato paste
1 cup white wine
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
1-15 ounce can crushed tomatoes in puree
juice from 2 oranges
3 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
2 bay leaves
6- 5 ounce Halibut filets
cayenne pepper to taste
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat.
2. Add onion, celery, and carrot; sautee until soft, about 10 minutes.
3. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds.
4. Add tomato paste and cook additional 2 minutes.
5. Add white wine and simmer until reduced by one-half, scraping up any brown bits, about 5 minutes more.
6. Add next 6 ingredients and simmer until reduced to 3 cups, about 50 minutes.
7. Discard bay leaves, salt and pepper to taste.
8. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
9. Sprinkle Halibut with salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
10. Heat remaining 1 Tbsp oil in a large skillet over high heat.
11. Add fish to skillet and cook until brown, about 2 minutes per side; transfer fish to plate.
12. Pour off oil from skillet and reduce heat to low.
13. Add balsamic vinegar to skillet and simmer for 1 minute.
14. Add sauce; season again with salt and pepper.
15. Pour sauce into a 13x9x2 baking dish.
16. Place fish atop sauce in dish.
17. Bake until fish is opaque in the center, about 10 minutes.