1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 finely chopped onion
2 minced garlic cloves
10 large diced and cored tomatoes
1/2 cup of chopped fresh basil leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Optional: add fresh or dried rosemary and parsley for extra flavor
1. In a large sauce pan add olive oil and sauté onions for few minutes until translucent.
2. Add garlic to the pan and sauté for another two minutes.
3. Add tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper to the pan, cover and cook for about 15-20 minutes until tomatoes are soft and sauce starts to thicken; stir occasionally.
Variations of the recipes:
*For a smooth consistency, blend the sauce.
* If you don't like the tomato skin in your sauce, you can cook the whole tomatoes first and then remove the skin before adding to the pan.
* If you have extra tomatoes, this is a great recipe to make a larger batch to freeze and enjoy it later.