2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 basil leaf
1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
2 cups of low sodium chicken stock
2 cups of water
1. Put olive oil in a large pot, and cook the onion and squash 5 minutes, or until lightly browned.
2. Pour enough of the low sodium chicken stock and water to cover the onion and squash.
3. Bring to a boil.
4. Add basil leaf.
5. Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer for 40 minutes, or until the onion and squash are tender.
6. Remove the basil leaf.
7. Transfer the soup to a blender, and blend until smooth.
8. Return to the pot and mix in any remaining low sodium chicken stock and water to attain desired consistency.