What is the Hearts Beat Back Lifestyle Score?
Your Hearts Beat Back (HBB) Lifestyle Score is a reflection of your lifestyle behavior choices and the higher your score, the better! A high HBB Lifestyle Score means you are making healthful lifestyle choices and as a result, are likely to be healthier overall. According to the World Health Organization, unhealthful choices in the areas measured by the HBB Lifestyle Score are associated with most chronic conditions, such as heart disease, some cancers, diabetes and arthritis. Since your HBB Lifestyle Score is based on the lifestyle choices you make every day, the good news is that you can usually control and improve your score.
What is my HBB Lifestyle Score?
You can find out your current HBB Lifestyle Score by answering six simple questions. Remember, the higher your score, the better for your health.
- Your estimated number of life years gained (which means how many years past the age of 75 you may live as a result of your healthful lifestyle choices)
- Your estimated level of workplace productivity lost (which means the percentage of time you lose each year at work because of health issues that cause you to miss work or underperform at work)
What are risk factors?
A “risk factor” is something that puts you at risk for chronic disease or a heart attack. There are certain risk factors that you cannot change, such as your age, gender or family history. However, you can improve risk factors that are lifestyle-related. For example, you can reduce your risk for a heart attack by practicing healthful lifestyle behaviors such as:
- Being physically active
- Not using tobacco products
- Eating five or more servings of fruits and vegetables a day
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- If your score is less than 10, make a goal to increase it by at least 2 points each year.
- If your score is already a 10, aim to keep yourself there year after year.
- Keep it simple, make and maintain steady progress and live a healthier life.
How is the Lifestyle Score Calculated?
Your personal HBB Lifestyle Score is calculated from 0 to 10 points based on five lifestyle factors that have a big influence on your overall health:
- Your body mass index (BMI)
- How much tobacco you use
- How much alcohol you drink
- How many fruits and vegetables you eat
- How physically active you are