As part of an organization doing leading research for more than 30 years, our team has conducted numerous population-health studies. Our research demonstration project, Hearts Beat Back Project: The Heart of New Ulm Project, has offered a unique environment for studying how various population-based interventions can impact the health of an entire community.
Our team has published extensively in peer-reviewed journals, including the Journal of the American Heart Association, Population Health Management, Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine, Clinical Medicine & Research, Preventing Chronic Disease, and more.
- We have been well represented at national scientific conferences, such as the American Heart Association and the American Diabetes Association. Additionally, we have had a strong presence at local conferences in worksite health promotion, nutrition, physical activity, public health, epidemiology, nursing and medical informatics.
Abbey C. Sidebottom, MPH; Arthur Sillah, MPH; Michael D. Miedema, MD, MPH; David M. Vock, PhD; Raquel Pereira, MS; Gretchen Benson, BA; Jackie L. Boucher, MS; Thomas Knickelbine, MD; Rebecca Lindberg, MPH; Jeffrey J. VanWormer, PhD. Changes in cardiovascular risk factors after 5 years of implementation of a population-based program to reduce cardiovascular disease: The Heart of New Ulm Project. American Heart Journal 2016, DOI: 10.1016/j.ahj.2016.02.006
VanWormer JJ, Boucher JB, Sidebottom AS. Two-year impact of lifestyle changes on workplace productivity loss in the Heart of New Ulm Project. Occupational and Environmental Medicine. 2015; epub ahead of press on April 9, 2015.
- Empowering Your Community to Improve Health: An Integrated Model to Creating a Culture of Health in a Rural County. Rebecca Lindberg. 2016 Michigan Critical Access Hospital Conference. Nov. 10, 2016
- Changing the Restaurant Food Environment to Improve Cardiovascular Health in a Rural Community: Implementation and Evaluation of the Heart of New Ulm (HONU) Project Restaurant Initiative. Rebecca Lindberg, Abbey Sidebottom. American Public Health Association 2016 Annual Meeting. Oct. 30, 2016.
- Engaging Rural Dental Clinics in Cardiovascular Disease Prevention. Derek Hersch.Illinois Rural Health Association 27th Annual Educational Conference. August 8, 2016.
- AcademyHealth Community Health Peer Learning Program. Rebecca Lindberg, Abbey Sidebottom. June 2016.
- The Heart of New Ulm Project — Rural Health Transformation: From Surviving to Thriving. Toby Freier, Cindy Winters. National Rural Health Resource Center webinar. June 8, 2016.
- Designing a Culture of Health in Rural Minnesota. Rebecca Lindberg, Cindy Winters. National Rural Health Association Rural Health Innovation Summit. May 11, 2016.
- How to Build Multi-sector Collaborations to Advance Community Health. Rebecca Lindberg, Gretchen Benson. The Practical Playbook National Meeting. May 23, 2016.
- Hearts Beat Back: The Heart of New Ulm Project Overview. Derek Hersch. Rural Health Community of Practice webinar. April 1, 2016
- Implementing Data-driven Change at the Local Level and Lessons Learned from Hearts Beat Back: The Heart of New Ulm Project. Cindy Winters. How Healthy is the Northland? Bridge to Health Conference. April 1, 2016
- Assessing the Impact of The Heart of New Ulm Project: A Population-Based Program to Reduce Cardiovascular Disease.
AC Sidebottom, A Sillah, DM Vock, MD Miedema, R Pereira, G Benson, R Lindberg, JL Boucher, T Knickelbine, JJ VanWormer. American Heart Association EPI/ Lifestyle 2017 Scientific Sessions. March 7-10, Portland, OR 2014.
- Improvements in Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors After Five Years of a Population Based Intervention: The Heart of New Ulm Project
AC Sidebottom, A Sillah, DM Vock, MD Miedema, R Pereira, G Benson, JL Boucher, T Knickelbine, JJ VanWormer. American Heart Association Scientific Sessions 2014. November 15-19, Chicago, IL.
- Short-Term Effects of Lifestyle Changes on HDL and the Total Cholesterol/HDL Ratio in the Heart of New Ulm Project.
A Sillah, AC Sidebottom, MD Miedema, T Knickelbine, JL Boucher, JJ VanWormer. American Heart Association Scientific Sessions 2014. November 15-19, Chicago, IL.
- The Implications of the Recent American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Guidelines for the Treatment of Blood Cholesterol on a Rural Community: The Heart of New Ulm Project.
MD Miedema, AC Sidebottom, A Sillah, G Benson, J Boucher, T Knickelbine, JJ VanWormer. American Heart Association Scientific Sessions 2014. November 15-19, Chicago, IL.