As part of an organization doing leading research for more than 30 years, our team has conducted numerous population-health studies. Our research demonstration project, Hearts Beat Back Project: The Heart of New Ulm Project, has offered a unique environment for studying how various population-based interventions can impact the health of an entire community.
Our team has published extensively in peer-reviewed journals, including the Journal of the American Heart Association, Population Health Management, Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine, Clinical Medicine & Research, Preventing Chronic Disease, and more.
- We have been well represented at national scientific conferences, such as the American Heart Association and the American Diabetes Association. Additionally, we have had a strong presence at local conferences in worksite health promotion, nutrition, physical activity, public health, epidemiology, nursing and medical informatics.
VanWormer, J. J., Pereira, R. F., Sillah, A., Sidebottom, A. C., Benson, G. A., Lindberg, R., Winters, C., and Boucher, J. L. (2018) Adult weight management across the community: population-level impact of the LOSE IT to WIN IT challenge. Obesity Science & Practice, doi: 10.1002/osp4.152.
Lindberg, R., Sidebottom, A., McCool, B., Pereira, R., Sillah, A., & Boucher, J. (2018). Changing the restaurant food environment to improve cardiovascular health in a rural community: Implementation and evaluation of the Heart of New Ulm restaurant programme. Public Health Nutrition, 1-10.
VanWormer JJ, Boucher JB, Sidebottom AC, Sillah A, Knickelbine T. Lifestyle changes and prevention of metabolic syndrome in the Heart of New Ulm Project. (2017). Preventive Medicine Reports, 6: 242-245.
Clinical Implications of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Guidelines for the Treatment of Blood Cholesterol for a Rural Community: Data from The Heart of New Ulm Project
Miedema MD, Sidebottom AC, Sillah A, Benson G, Knickelbine T, VanWormer JJ. Clinical Implications of the ACC/AHA Guidelines for the Treatment of Blood Cholesterol for a Rural Community: Data from the Heart of New Ulm Project (2017) Journal of Clinical Lipidology, 11(1): 94-101.
- Community Health Transformation: Leveraging Data, Evidence-Based Interventions and Capacity Building as a Successful and Sustainable Model. Rebecca Lindberg, Cindy Winters. Iowa Healthcare Collaborative's State Innovation Model Learning Community. March 7, 2018.
- Creating Coalitions: A New Ulm at Home (NU-HOME) Case Study. Rebecca Lindberg, Abbey Sidebottom, Jayne Fulkerson (Univ. of Minnesota), Melissa Horning (Univ. of Minnesota). Advancing Publicly-Engaged Research, Teaching and Learning to Address Society’s Grand Challenges: A University of Minnesota System-Wide Conference. March 1, 2018
- Leverage Data and Evidence-Based Interventions to Drive Community Health Improvements. Rebecca Lindberg. Real-World Evidence Conference. July 17-18, 2017
- Eight Years of Evaluating the Heart of New Ulm Project. Gretchen Benson, Cindy Winters. Association of Community Health Improvement National Conference. March 9-11, 2017.
- Empowering Your Community to Improve Health: An Integrated Model to Creating a Culture of Health in a Rural County. Rebecca Lindberg. 2016 Michigan Critical Access Hospital Conference. Nov. 10, 2016
- Changing the Restaurant Food Environment to Improve Cardiovascular Health in a Rural Community: Implementation and Evaluation of the Heart of New Ulm (HONU) Project Restaurant Initiative. Rebecca Lindberg, Abbey Sidebottom. American Public Health Association 2016 Annual Meeting. Oct. 30, 2016.
AC Sidebottom, A Sillah, DM Vock, MD Miedema, R Pereira, G Benson, R Lindberg, JL Boucher, T Knickelbine, JJ VanWormer. American Heart Association EPI/ Lifestyle 2017 Scientific Sessions. March 7-10, Portland, OR
- Improvements in Changing The Restaurant Environment to Improve Cardiovascular Health in a Rural Community: Implementation and Evaluation of the Heart of New Ulm (HONU) Project Restaurant Initiiative. The Heart of New Ulm Project
AC Sidebottom, A Sillah, DM Vock, MD Miedema, R Pereira, G Benson, JL Boucher, T Knickelbine, JJ VanWormer. American Heart Association Scientific Sessions 2014. November 15-19, Chicago, IL.
A Sillah, AC Sidebottom, MD Miedema, T Knickelbine, JL Boucher, JJ VanWormer. American Heart Association Scientific Sessions 2014. November 15-19, Chicago, IL.