Get a Workout Buddy to Stay on Track
We all go through fitness ebbs and flows. One month we may be firing on all cylinders — motivated and ready to go. The next month we may dread the thought of going to the gym or heading outside to exercise. A great way to stay motivated is to find a workout buddy. Why?
When you have someone who is expecting you to show up, counting on you to be ready and needing you for encouragement and motivation, it can help you be more consistent with your workouts. Without a buddy, it's much easier to skip a day or come up with an excuse not to do your workout or cut it short.
If you need help finding a workout buddy, here are a few tips:
• Look to your family, friends and coworkers. Ask around. You might find someone looking for a workout partner.
• Try finding an E-workout buddy. You keep each other accountable by checking in daily. You can put together the same workout routine, do it on your own, and then check in to see how each other did. Sites like www.exercisefriends.com will help put you in touch with a buddy.
• Use or create your Facebook page to find a friend who would be willing to be your workout buddy. Many of your Facebook friends have similar interests, which is helpful in finding a workout buddy.
• Find someone who likes the same kind of workout you do. While you don't have to find someone with the exact same fitness level, similar interests are important. For example, if you don't like to run, partnering up with Joe on Go who is a marathoner might not be the best idea.
• Join a group exercise class, group personal training session, or walking or running group. More than one person who may miss you if you are gone!